Thursday, May 11, 2017


Round 2 on this Snapshot for me:) I am a very literal person, so when I read we needed to do a snapshot to introduce ourselves to the Balfour group, I thought that meant our future students. I read all of your snapshots, and now I get it LOL So, this re-write is correctly written now:)

My name is Amy Aiyegbusi, and I'm a second year PhD student at Indiana University Bloomington in the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology on track to earn my degree in Ethnomusicology. I earned a BA in English with a concentration in Creative Writing from IUB along with 3 minors: German, European Studies and Medieval Studies and my MA in European Studies at IUB. I am a 2017-18 IUB Graduate Student Emissary, an academic mentor for IU Athletics, an editor for the Journal of Hip Hop Studies, a grad employee of IU's Archives of African American Music and Culture, a DJ for WFHB Community Radio Bloomington, and a volunteer for the City of Bloomington Farmer's Market. In my research, my country of focus is Germany and my topic is Women in German Hip Hop with a concentration on the Turkish diaspora. I am looking forward to learning from all of you during our time together, and any ideas you might have for our group are most appreciated. 


As an ethnomusicologist, I study the interaction of music and culture, focusing on the ways people use music as a lens to project their identities and social issues to the world around them. I am highly committed to a global perspective in education. I know firsthand how deeply studying abroad changes a person, giving them an enhanced perspective by teaching them that no matter who a person is, all of us are important and deserve fair and equal access to all things in life. Gender Parity and Female Empowerment are issues I feel are of vital importance to all of us regardless of who we are, and this video gives a great introduction to the concept and importance of both:





In my travels overseas as a student, I have witnessed women and girls in different circumstances and locations. These pictures are from Nigeria/Africa from my trip in November, 2016:





For my MA thesis, I lived in Germany from September, 2015 until March, 2016, in order to conduct ethnographic research. Here are some pictures from that trip:








See you very soon!
Amy 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection 4

I'm not sure what I can say that I haven't already said about this amazing week with the Global Arts Program. This week has been one...